Saturday, August 7, 2010

I joke about sex because it's funny when you're frightened

New series, but not an original idea.
I just uploaded a bunch of new music to my itunes after raiding the bf's cds. Also now that I'm back at home for a couple of weeks I'll be getting some new music from the family as well. So. I've decided to highlight some of my favorite gems that I've discovered while attempting to listen and learn this new awesome music.

First up, The Dresden Dolls. I made a new car mix cd for my drive home yesterday (so glad I did, that was a nightmare) and I knew I wanted a fast-paced Dresden Dolls song on there because 1) they fit the theme of the cd and 2) I didn't want the whole mix to be music I already knew by heart.
I had "Recently Added" playing while I packed and cleaned and this particular song I kept returning to. Then I actually listened to the lyrics and was amazed that Amanda Palmer managed to make rape slightly funny. That is quite an accomplishment.

"Lonesome Organist Rapes Page Turner" by The Dresden Dolls:


Love it for the fast pace, and the added quirks of tone changes and screamy-gasp things. And the lyrics of course, here are samples of my favorites from the song (besides the title of the post, kinda):
"I joke about death because it's funny when you're frightened"
"I doubt we would be anywhere without your gift for keeping truth and consequence from meeting"

No comments:

Post a Comment