Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tattoo Ideas

Every once in a while, my brain grabs onto this topic and I just start jonesing. My mind gets focused for once. All on beautiful, expensive tattooing. I won't be able to think of anything else. I get into designs, placement, research, etc.
I'm in one of those funks now.
I have two AMAZING ideas. One new, one old.
Old: one of Louis Wain's schizophrenia-induced kaleidoscope cats
My favorite is "Gouache"

I chose to research Louis Wain for my final big senior project/presentation last year. His story is as fascinating as his artwork, and I return to its beauty often.
This tattoo would be very inspirational for me. It would remind me of Louis Wain's life, and thus, how no matter how difficult and dark life becomes, there will always be art, creativity, passion, and beauty in the world.

New: M.C. Escher
I've loved M.C. Escher ever since my grandmother gave me a book about him. Recently however I've been sort-of "re-discovering" his artwork through my ever-changing desktop wallpaper. Now that I'm home, I remembered that book, and frantically searched for it. So far, no go. I expected it to be on my bookshelf like it was for so many years, but it's gone. Tomorrow I plan to scourge the entire house.
For the tattoo, I was thinking of one of his classic tessellations.
I love this particular example because of the shape. It's just a few birds that loosely fill a circle. The most classic of his designs taper into points that I feel wouldn't fit a body space very elegantly. To elaborate on body space, if I got both, I was thinking that "Gouache" would go on my inner arm and then I'd have to take samples of Escher's work and form them together so that the birds could flow/cascade on my side, like following the natural contours created by my ribcage.

Though I'm still not positive though about which M.C. Escher art piece I would choose. This is why I wanted to find and consult my old book. I love so many of his designs, I know it will be difficult.
Oh and I wouldn't just get an Escher tattoo solely because of it's beauty. It would commemorate my grandmother- she would never want me to get a tattoo completely devoted to her (i.e. face, name). This "commemoration" is fitting because she gave me that book (obviously) and because she was always introducing me to art. She loved going to museums and seeing art exhibitions, and I loved her and I miss her every day, and I wish I hadn't been so obstinate in my young age.
You can probably tell that I'm beginning to get ramble-y. It's late in the night and thinking of my grandmother stirs many thoughts and emotions, rendering me linguistically useless.

I think I was able to remember and put down most of my thoughts about these tattoos. Finding an artist I trust enough to transcribe them onto my flesh will be the most difficult step though... But I have plenty of time, as dictated by my bank account and unemployment.


My poorness plus this new frenzy has REALLY got me dying for a job now. Maybe spring semester? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment