Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Old-Fashioned Bomb

Well. The past week has actually been quite eventful. Surprise surprise.
The day after tomorrow I'm going to New Jersey. Say whaat!?
Yep, visiting my bestie in the old middle school stomping ground. Leaving bright and early and coming back bright and early Monday. I'm actually really really really excited, I haven't seen her in over a year and both our lives have changed drastically since then. Plus, for some reason, we hardly talked in that time. That doesn't really trouble me though, our friendship is strong.

And now for something completely different, I got a giant confusing-mixed-feelings shit bomb dropped on me not even an hour ago.
My grandfather proposed to his new girlfriend. My grandmother hasn't even been dead for 2 years. He's been dating her for a handful of months. A proposal should be totally surprising, n'est-ce pas?
On one hand, I'm glad he's happy. Honestly, my grandmother was usually a total bitch to him, and when she was around, it really hurt to see them together fighting all the time. I still love her though, we were very close. I would definitely name her as the person who got me utterly hooked on movies. From chick flicks to Hitchcock, thats how we roll...ed. Oh right, so he's happy now and I truly love that.
On the other hand... I said they haven't known each other long right? Did I also mention how she lives thousands of miles away. They don't even live together! My dad called it "old-fashioned." Which didn't click at first because I though old-fashioned would apply to living together before marrying, not the other way around. Theeeen it clicked; yeah, grandpa's old, '50's ideals.
Blergh.
I'm conflicted. The only thing I can really be sure of is that I think its too early in their relationship. And that I still miss my grandmother, ahelluvalot.

No comments:

Post a Comment